Saturday, January 23, 2010

What to do with my parents' old photographs?

I have 587 of my parents' old pictures scanned. I did the albums that had pocket style pages, and I’ve been debating how to do the ones in the sticky page albums.





I have two options:





1. I photograph them through their plastic.


Pros: Less work, fewer fingerprints, no risk of damage from the removal itself.


Cons: Photos are still un-safe over time, possibly reduced quality or increased glare.





2. I take them out, scan then, then put them into something else, probably scrapbooks. I’ve been wanting to do a scrapbook where I’d have two copies of some pictures,one with a coloring book filter applied. People could write peoples names into their outlines.


Pros: Photos are safe, people can be identified for us and future generations, scrapbooks are cooler than photo albums.


Cons: Lots of work for something that might just make mom angry instead of happy. Very time consuming. Have to do one then sell her on the idea before proceeding with the rest.





Your input, tips, or additional ideas?What to do with my parents' old photographs?
I have found that photographing pictures often does not work. It is difficult to get a good image without glare from the plastic or picture itself. Sometimes you can angle the picture so lights are not reflected on it, but I think it's easier to go with the scanning option.





If this is the type of sticky paged scrapbook I'm thinking it is, taking them off could easily ruin them. Instead, try scanning them on a flatbed scanner while still connected to the page. This way you can try it out without tearing or bending the images. Burn the images onto a gold archival DVD, as DVDs (especially home burned ones) are not guaranteed to last long. They cost more, but are worth it. If that doesn't work, I'd take them to a professional scanner and have them do it. And make a few copies, one for you, for your mom, for other relatives- that way if your copy gets lost or damaged all your images are not gone.What to do with my parents' old photographs?
ALWAYS ASK FIRST. With your moms permission, get the originals in acid free and safe environment. Scan without the covers if possible for the best scan. Scrapbooks are not always safe. Make sure you cover the pictures.
go for the first option. good luck!
scan and put in non-stick albums sleeves,


search for negatives and scan instead,


then put on cd,
BURN THEM TO DVD WITH SOME MUSIC ACCOMPANIMENT, AND GIVE EVERYONE IN YOUR FAMILY ONE FOR X-MAS. BURN IT ON NERO IT'S EASY IF I CAN DO IT-SO CAN YOU!!GOOD-LUCK.
try making a collage or sumthing.. like take their oldest photos, and cut nd stik, and make like a timeline, so from oldest to newest.. so wen u go thru the pics, ur parents can see the changes
Have a professional company put them on DVD. They will last forever. And then have them preserved-possibly contact a photographer for assistance or tips or a museum.
How important is to her? She must want her grandchildren, great and so on to see these. Well Good luck with the work.~

No comments:

Post a Comment