Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do I convince my parents to let me get a pet rat?

I know what good pets they make and I have told my parents, but they are still against it. Can someone who has had one before say how good they are so that they might say yes? My parents think that they are gross and I need an experienced person to say how the are clean animals. It might also help if you tell them how the tail feels. They won't touch a rat tail themselves and do not believe me that they are not nasty.How do I convince my parents to let me get a pet rat?
Okay....this is to mum and dad,





I have 13 rats and have had rats for years. I am 47 years old.





All I can tell you is that rats are one of the sweetest and most gentle pets it is possible to have. (I have many other types of pets too), They are loyal, love to sit with you and be stroked and are very very clean. They are intelligent and you can build little mazes for them and they work the maze out.





They are easy to feed as you just give them a rat dry feed and they can have scraps from your leftovers....though nothing too unhealthy!





They are sleepy most of the day and wake around 4 - 5pm and are awake for you to see in the morning.





They don't llike running in wheels....so there's no noise coming from the treadmill!





Rats are very affectionate...my husband loves them too (when at first he said 'We're NOT having a rat!).





I think you'll be very surprised yourselves at how good a pet they make.





Now the tail bit! So many people dislike the look of a rat's tail...but you do get used to it. The tail feels soft.





Male rats have a coarser coat when they grow up whereas the female's coat remains smooth.





Males tend to grow bigger than females.





I honestly think it's an ideal pet and will teach your child how to care for animals.





I know it's hard to say yes, when you're not keen...but it would really make a dream happen for him.





Just a note on the answer above...no rat will ever get near the size of a dog!!! Trust me! They grow bigger than hamsters.





My big rat was 9'; long in body...he's a male. My females are more like 6'; in body. There are some more unusual special breeds of rats that do grow bigger but these are not the ones you generally see for sale.





Best wishesHow do I convince my parents to let me get a pet rat?
You may think twice on this. Did you know that depending on the breed you get depends on the adult size. Some will get to be the size of a small dog (12'; with a 9'; tail), while others can grow to the size of a 40 pound dog. The ones I got by summer will be almost the size of a small dog and I will need to in the next month or two begin building a new cage for the pair. They chew on anything and everything. I give ours veggie dog biscuits to help curb their chewing. My husband's friend had one that chewed a hole in the doors at his house.





If you still want one, they do otherwise make good pets. The males are calmer then the females. Our male will sit on your shoulder. Our female is a bit more skittish and needs more working with. Now they do poop a lot and not small stuff either. The cage needs to be cleaned of the poop daily. The males however can't be given any citrus fruits because of the oils on the skin can cause cancer in them. They also can't have dried corn for the same reason, but can have fresh corn.





The rats tail is very soft with fine hairs on them, not bald like they look. I as a parent was hesitant too, but after holding one I said yes to my daughter. They only way they can be dirty is if their cage isn't cleaned of the poop every day. They wash themselves all the time, no need for a bath.





As a parent, they are great pets to me. They are fairly quiet and are awake more in the day then at night, at least ours are. Best thing to do is to do all your research on them and present it to your parents. Let them read these answers from everyone, omit the stupid ones first if you can. Since I'm a small animal rescuer, I have to open for all small animals of every breed.





Here is a link to the ASPCA's site on pet rats.
start with a pet rock(name it bob.) it coud be ur bes freind!!!!
I would never let a damn rat in my house!!!!!
i never have had a pet rat but i have heard that they make great pets. i would go pick up a pamphlet about rats so the can read up on them.
just shoot them if they dont get one or threaten them with a gun! thats what i did :)
  • makeup brush
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment