Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do I convince my parents to let me buy a small motorcycle?

I am 15 and almost 16. Which means I am almost at the age where I can get a motorcycle learners permit. I am in the process of convincing my parents to let me get a bike. I already have a dirt bike which they fully trust me with. I need a small motorcycle cause I am only 5' 4'' but in the middle of a growth spert. What bikes do u recomend? (probably a 250).How do I convince my parents to let me buy a small motorcycle?
u need to get traffic experience with cages first. u dont get a fender bender on a bike vs a cage....u get a coffin. and a 250 will kill u just as quick as any other bike. u dont get away with some mistakes...u just become dead.How do I convince my parents to let me buy a small motorcycle?
If you were a bit older, I would say its easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission. However as a minor your parents will have the final say. It depends on how your parents feel about bikes. If they ride you would have a better chance. If not your gonna have a tough time. As for what size bike to get, start small, work your way up.
My wife is 5'3'; and she rides a Vulcan 800 Classic. My first bike was an 1100 almost 30 years ago and I was 5'9'; at the time.
you would not ride on highways? yeah sure. basically everywhere people go now involves a highway. its easy. im 18, and i ride a 06 ninja 636 black . just make sure you shut down your parents negative answers before they same them. its much like debating politics. know what your parents will say, and stay away from that subject. i never had a dirt bike. i went straight to the streets. try doing that. a good thing is to take a riders safety course. then you will have some riding under your belt in a closed course. its different from riding a dirt bike in a couple ways. but hey im 5'8';. get a 600 respect the bike and its power and you wont have wasted your money on a 250. a 250 would be a poor choice.
Listen there bucker roo!! Being a dad with 5 daughters and they all ride dirt bikes and they ride w/me on my HARLEY'S.


Ages 22,15,14,9%26amp;5 if any one of them wanted to get a harley I would say ya. Riding on the street and road ways is way different than riding M/X. TREES dont move!! NOW PAY ATTENTION ask your parents to help you select the right bike and gear for you, inform them you plan to take a m/c saftey course. Make them feel as if they are a part of your growing up big boy style. And for gods sake son buy a HARLEY!!(883)
I have been in the middle of a ';growth spurt'; for the last 25 years, and I'm still 5'4';.





Have you tried talking about scooters with your parents? Many scooters will go 80mph+ and get great mileage. I currently ride a Honda Reflex on my 80 mile round trip to work and back daily, and I love it.





If you are against the idea of a scooter and a motorcycle you must have, check out the Suzuki Boulevard S40, the Yamaha Virago 250(nice V-twin), and of course my favorite, the Honda Rebel.





Remember, it's one thing to ride a dirt bike around-off road-where there are no cars to deal with and another to be out in traffic. It is much more dangerous out on the road then off, and I'll bet your parents know this as well. Be prepared for your parents to say NO. If they say NO, thank them because it comes from love and concern for you.


Good Luck


Ride Safe
You may want to take the MSF riders' class. Your parents might be impressed by the fact that you take street riding seriously enough to know the value of the MSF class.





Street riding is much more dangerous than dirt riding, so you will need the ';aura'; of responsibility when discussing it with your parents.





My son is 15 years old and he rides a 250 Ninja. There is no way I would have allowed him to ride on the streets without taking the class. I trust the class instruction over my own instruction...that's how valuable the MSF class is.





And I do recommend the Ninja 250 as a beginner bike. It has a low seat, it's light (most kids can pick it up easily), it is very forgiving for the novice rider, but yet it performs well enough for freeway riding.





And it is easy to work on and find part for.





For a new rider, I suggest a used one as there are the inevitable spills during the learning process.
if they have already said no, they wont change their minds. teens can barely handle a car much less a bike, and the actions of a few wind up filtering down to all. accept the fact that u wont be getting a bike until u are 18, and until u are 18, u wont be able to even get the permit for a car if they say 'no driving'. minors dont get a say so....adults do.
a 250


or the brand new crf150( they have ballz)


its a little bit smaller in hight but will go as good as any 250
well a 250cc bike is not a small bike . something under 100cc is a small bike.


i cant help you because what your asking is something different then what you want . you want a large i assume dirt bike . but you call it a small bike.
Show them that you're responsible by not crashing the dang thing. Wear a helmet. Gloves. Boots. Pants (no shorts) and don't open up the throttle until you go far enough away from the house that they can't hear you.


The insurance will be about a quarter for a bike then a car.


A bike will get about double the gas mileage of a car.


Where do you live? Riding in the middle of a south dakota farm is different then in the middle of New york city which is different then the colorado mountains.....


I guess the best thing that you could do for now is show them that you're a responsible person in general. Use your grades in school as leverage. Drive your ( or their) car carefuly. Don't fall off your dirt bike while they're watching.


As far as which bike to get for your body build? I would say suzuki intruder 800cc the pegs are nice and high, The seat is low, the handlebars are laid back. The 800cc is kind of powerful though for your weight... but you'll get used to that in about 3 months. I don't reccomend starter bikes such as the suzuki GZ250 nor the kawasaki eliminator 125 because you will get bored of their lack of power real quickly. Just don't open up the throttle of the 800cc bike like an idiot and you'll be fine.
until u are 18, legally, ur parents can block u from getting a mc license or permit. in ohio, minors...those under 18...it is manditory for them to take and pass the msf course, and u have to already have the mc permit. and no...just because ur old enough to apply for a permit doesnt mean u automatically can or should get 1; that decision is up to ur parents, not u, and driving anything on the road is a privilege, not a right.


in this state....and i'm almost bankin 2-1 odds in ur state, minor's have to have parental permission. at 16, u dont need a bike, and if ur parents say no, then until ur 18, u wont be able to even get a mc permit. u could just go out and buy a bike, but how are u going to get plates? in my area, the dmv checks to see if u have a drivers license. if ur state is the same way, u wont be able to get plates without a license....permits dont count. u need at the minumum, a car license.


think u need to start shopping around and find out how much insurance is gonna cost u at 16.





u cant afford to daydream on a bike. like sandman said, u dont get a fender bender, u get a coffin. the most common and the most lethal threat to us is the left turn killer. it doesnt take freeway speed to kill u. u smack into the side of a cage at 30, and u could wind up takin a dirt nap.
You could use a motorcycle's fuel economy and reduced impact on the environment (less plastic, etc) to convince your parents.
Check out the ninja 250, you can get a used one for a good price on eBay. www.ninja250.com has some great info on the bike. As far as getting your parents to let you have it, I would say be a man and show them that you are responsible for a period of let's say 6 months where you have the bike but use it on a limited basis dictated by them. They will tell you when you can ride. Once you have established the trust you may gain more freedoms. Good luck and ride safe.
are you a heavy kid?, a 250 can carry both my husband and I, i recomend something smaller, at least close to the ground, my hunsband's dirt bike is a 230 and it has some power, if you are looking for a street bike i suggest getting like nothing more then a 200 you need to be able to touch the ground and also know how to drive a bike with a clutch my little bro in law is almost 15 he has a 150 trail bike, its street legal and can play in the dirt too, my husband is 5'8 and his Yamaha 230 dirt bike is just fine for him, then he also has an enduro Kawasaki, so that can go street and dirt, its a 250 and hauls both of us together well, thats about 300 lbs, if the bike did go down you want somthing you would be able to lift off of you, we had a street bike, but i love the enduro on the street better then the Virago that we had
i have a feeling that your parents wont allow u to get a motorcycle permit or license, so if you even want to drive a car, accept it if they say no. driving is a privilege, and they can approve or deny this privilege, even revoke it at their whim. you dont get to call the shots at anything until age 18.
If you ALREADY have the money...





BUY THE BIKE....





Then , wait for yer Parents to give you permission to ride it.





They'll ';give in'; easier that way.... ( Or ';give up'; )





Gotta Fly...


Mike %26amp; ';Jaz'; in MN / 05 ';Deuce';

No comments:

Post a Comment