Saturday, January 23, 2010

How can I avoid my parents putting out their anger on me while they're fighting?

Like little kids, my parents aren't talking to each other under one roof. Usually, they talk it out, but it has already been almost a week. My dad is somewhat reasonable, so he is trying to say some stuff to my mom. Contrastingly, my mom deliberately ignores him even though he asks her a direct question. She doesn't take fighting easily and keeps putting it out on me and my siblings. She doesn't even sleep in her room anymore. It's ridiculous and childish. How can I avoid my parents putting out their anger on me while they're fighting?
1) Stay out of the fights.


2) Don't take sides.


3) If one of them comes to you complaining about the other, inform that parent that you aren't taking sides.


4) Repeat nothing to either parent if you overhear something.


5) Just go to your room and shut the door when they fight.


6) Be aware that it sounds like they are heading for divorce so don't make it worse by crying, whining, begging for things they can't afford to buy you or choosing sides.How can I avoid my parents putting out their anger on me while they're fighting?
Wow, that is a tough situation you are in. It's virtually impossible for a kid to talk some sense into their parents. And it sounds like your mom would not listen anyway. I say keep yourself busy and stay out of the way. Also, make sure that you don't give her anything to be mad at you about.



Don't take sides but tell them that they are being ridiculous and childish and it's time to grow up. Coming from you it just might open their eyes to see how fullish they have been.
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this kind of tension. All I can suggest is keep your distance from her until this is resolved. I know, not easy when you live under the same roof.
I could not have said it better myself. Julie H. above is totally correct. Way to go Julie!

No comments:

Post a Comment