Saturday, January 23, 2010

How can you convince your parents to let you get a 9mm handgun?

I already own a couple .22's and a .410 but no pistol. I want something with some more recoil than a .22 but they say i don't need one. I've already saved up the money for at least a glock and a couple mags. I have been around guns for almost all of my life. How to convince?How can you convince your parents to let you get a 9mm handgun?
Contrary to what some people have stated, specifically what pathfinder stated, you don't have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. It depends on the state you live in. In AK it is 18. In MT you can buy any firearm at any age. 21 is very common for handguns though. Either way, it is NOT by federal law, but instead by state law.





Also, odds are that if you live in a state where you need to be 21 to purchase/possess one, you technically don't own any of your other firearms, as those states usually also require you to be 18 to purchase/possess rifles in shotguns. In those states, while you could use them on temporary loans (such as for hunting, etc.) under adult supervision, you technically don't OWN either of them.





Honestly, if I were you, I'd just wait. I have actually no problem with minors being around firearms, as I've been shooting since I was a kid and I shot my first handgun, a Llama .45 ACP, at the age of 11. I just think that it's probably best to make sure you follow your state's laws, and also your parents' wishes.





You can use the two links below to find out more about handgun possession/ownership. Be warned that the second one is put together by the Brady Campaign. It does however answer some basic questions relatively accurately.How can you convince your parents to let you get a 9mm handgun?
Good? kind of So-so to me.......

Report Abuse



some one your age doesn't need that many guns.my 9 year old has a 22 to go shooting with me and that is all he needs. not saying that you would do it but that is how all the school shoots start easy access to guns.
Sprinkle some marijuana on their breakfast cereal about an hour before you ask them if you want favorable results.


P.S. What is lefty limpwrist doing in a discussion like this? Who will chime in next - Rosie O'Donnell?
I'd wait until you are legally old enough to buy one, otherwise talk your dad into getting one together. I'd not start with a 9mm, I'd recommend a Walther or SW 22. Nice shooter fun plinking soda cans and paper.





Save until you are old enought 21 in most states for the 9mm, 40cal, 10mm or 45 of your choice. I'd opt for the SW99 or Walther P99..
If you are under 21 years of age, federal law prohibit you from owning and possessing handguns and handgun ammunition. You may use them however, on a target range, or hunting under adult supervision.
Keep saving your money for a 9mm. In the short term I would offer you the following advice; buy ammo. I have several 9mm thundersticks and in the past year ammo has more than doubled in price; and is increasing almost weekly now. Go to J%26amp;G, AMMOMAN, or any number of other sellers and buy some 9mm ammo by the case; and just set on it. That way when you do buy a 9mm you will be able to have little fun shooting it. Secondly, look around a little. The Glock is okay but I have several friends in LE that really don't care for them. Taurus makes a nice model that looks like a Beretta 92, EAA makes a very nice witness model in both blue and stainless, and S%26amp;W makes very nice models. I prefer a metal stainless steel handgun over plastic model. Talk to people and do some research and be patient.
Time to take a stand in life and cut the cord..... My parents were never gun people. I had to learn shooting on my own through Scouting %26amp; Guns %26amp; Ammo. The first gun purchase was not exactly welcomed with enthusiam. But seeing as it co insided with the LA riots on TV, it was nice to have nearby.


Buy the Glock.... It a sign that your not mom and dad's little boy anymore %26amp; that you are your own man. It's just part of the circle of life. Been there, done it already.....
Well what are your reasons for needing more firepower?





Tell them you were raped or something
If you want to convince your parents, the best thing to do is to buy the gun online without your parents knowing it. As long as you keep the gun out of sight, your parents won't be any the wiser.





But if you're the kind of guy that absolutely must have permission before doing anything, then beg your parents relentlessly until they give in and get you the gun.
I know this sounds like old guy BS, but, really. You don't wanna have one. How many impromptu parking lot fights have you seen between sober guys, over nothing? How many of those guys took their butt kicking well? How many started looking for a bat, tire iron, rock, etc.?


Later in life, you'll realise that, as a man, your brains and impulse control don't kick in until you're about 22-23. Just ask all the guys that lost teeth saying to me, ';I'm gonna kick yo.......'; they never got further than that. The best offense is a great defence. I shudder to think how many people woulda died, had I carried a handgun when I was younger. I'd probably be in prison or dead.
Wait until you are of age. you are lucky to have a firearm in the first place so try to be content with what you have.
You have to be 21 to buy one in the first place. If you are 21, then your parents should have little to say about it anyway. Buy the .45acp, or you will wish you had.
Listen to your parents... You don't need one. If your not old enough to purchase it legally on your own and your parents say no.... There is no convincing them.








Sounds like you have very intelligent parents!
Well, i dont think it would be neassacary. try getting a .22 pistol, they are cheaper. I take it you arent old enough to buy one yourslef since you have to have their permission. If you are dead set on getting one, just get their trust, and maybe get a .22 pistol. Since you already own a few 22s they might go for that.
their trust i guess..i donno
Relax. One day you will be on your own and you can go get yourself a 9. Until then, just respect your parents wishes. You have alot more to be thinking of than what style of deadly weapon you want to own.
If you are under 21 then you do not need one.If you want one that bad then join the military
Listen to your parents, they are telling you the right thing. They probably realize guns lead to violence and murder, and want to protect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment