Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How do I deal with my parents having too high of expectations?

My parents have always had high expectations of me. I always had to make good grades, be on my best behavior, and never be too ';different.'; My brother is the complete opposite and I feel he is never held to the same standards. If he does something wrong it's ok but the first time I make a mistake, it's ';i'm disappointed in you'; speech. This tears my nerves up because I feel like I can make no room for error but I can never explain this to them because they won't listen or understand. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?How do I deal with my parents having too high of expectations?
Yes, I can hear what you are saying. I can relate. I am the oldest and was the best child too.





I found myself doing this to my kids. When confronted, I didn't know how to respond. This is what worked for us (me and my kid)........


My kid told me that just because she didn't make so many mistakes like her sibling. She said that this didn't mean she should never make a mistake or not get the support from me should she make a mistake. Just like I support her sibling. Then she walked out of the room. I said don't disrespect me. And she said she was just upset and wanted me to think about it. I let her walk away. And I did think about it. I reflected on my past. And she had a point.





Hopefully this helps you.How do I deal with my parents having too high of expectations?
well, if your parents won't listen or won't understand, you have no other real recourse;; raise your expectations for yourself %26amp; don't compare yourself to your brother;; if this is too much stress for you, you have no other alternative BUT to talk to your parents;; maybe representing it as how YOU feel instead of how THEY make you feel, %26amp; what your own expectations are vs their expectations, %26amp; requesting recommendations from them in order to try to keep up with their expectations (help vs ';expect';);; %26amp; btw, leave the brother out of it cuz it's only a deflective mechanism to get to the point..hope this helps!!

No comments:

Post a Comment