Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do I convince my parents to let my own a horse?

I'm a 16 year old girl whos done it all. I've leased a horse for a few months and shown it as well. I've helped train lesson horses and have worked at the barn. I'm very responsible and willing to take up a second job to help pay for the expensies as well as continue working at the barn to reduce the board. I've been riding for about 8 years now. My parents continuely say no but without a reason. I know we can afford one and I'm willing to work on it and turn the horse around for profit when I leave for college. How should I approach them? I've already tried approaching them with all the knowledge I have.How do I convince my parents to let my own a horse?
explain to them that you can help pay, etc. as you did above.


Another suggestion for profiit is to give lessons on the horse(talk to your instructor!). Also, alot of times an instructor can help you


a) talk to your parents(make sure you explain the situation first)


b)find a horse suitable for you





Good luckHow do I convince my parents to let my own a horse?
Sit them down and have a reasonable talk. If they just don't want to hear it what I have found to work with my parents is writing a detailed letter explaining every thing and every reason. This really helps because it gives you a chance to explain everything you want/need to and gives them a chance to see it written. Good luck to you as you sound like a responsible young person. Never give up your dreams. If they still object you'll be 18 and in college soon enough.
Get your own place, Im sure they wont object then...
you do sound very responsible - but its not fair to ask your parents to buy you a horse -


I grew up in the city and my parents could afford a horse and the board but never did - now as an adult I see why and am glad (sort of)


better to save your money and move out - get a good job and a good home so you can buy your own horse when the time is right - a horse is a HUGE responsiblity not one that your parents need to undertake on your behalf


good luck





ps - very seldom are horses sold for profit - they might be sold for more than they were purchased for but this doesnt mean profit since feed, vet, farrier - all add up
sit them down and say ';I want you to listen with an open mind and please dont interrupt me until I am done'; Make up slide or posters of every point that you have just said, as well as supporting arguments. if this doesnt work thne just continue to lease. that is the best that you can hope for.
spell check


yuo now that it deosnt mak sens if yuo spel evereething rong
Sounds like you've got a plan mapped out but can't convince your parents. Talk to them, find out what are their key concerns and try to address these in your updated proposal. Listen to their 'wants' only for this round. You can say your piece in the subsequent round, or after allowing them to say their 'piece' freely without interruption or objections from you.





Beef-up your plan, work out the financials for monthly horse maintenance expenses, where the money is coming from, who is looking after the horse when you are busy, medical and other contingency costs, etc.





What is your backup plan for the horse and costs should anything happen to your interests or time commitment during and after college? Show your parents a well-thought out plan and good-luck. Maybe they are also concerned that you'd not be able to see through this commitment through college or be able to sell/'dispose' of it when its no longer feasible to keep it.
If i were you i would make them sit and listen to you. tell the to let you finish talking before they make their choice.





Tell them what you posted.


Explain how a horse would be benificial (do some research on the internet.)


Ask your instructor to tell your parents how good you are with horses.


If they say no demand to know why.








Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment