Thursday, May 13, 2010

What right do I have to prevent my parents from driving?

If I think my aged parents are a hazard on the road, and people keep telling me to take their car keys, what right to I have to interfere. When does a person lose their rights if they have had no accident and they have a current drivers license. If I have the right to force them to give me the car keys, what about younger people in the neighborhood who are worse drivers. The question is: what legal right do I have to stop them from driving, aren't they free citizens of a free country?What right do I have to prevent my parents from driving?
You have no legal right to prevent them from driving. If you could prove, through a doctor, that they are unfit to drive, you ';may'; be able to do something. Ask some of those ';caring'; people if they will be willing to drive your parents around. They sound like busy-bodies to me.What right do I have to prevent my parents from driving?
It isn't a right, it is a responsibility.





Never mind this, '; what about other drivers'; stuff. You parent goes out driving, and gets into a head on which wipes out 4 other people and you could have stopped them from driving? The blood is on your hands, not the hands of the younger people in the neighborhood.
Driving is a privilege, not a right. The DMV has the authority to review a driver's competency level and take away his license if he is deemed no longer fit to drive. We ought to have laws requiring yearly testing for drivers over 65, unfortunately special interest groups for old geezers like A.A.R.P. have repeatedly blocked such legislation.
Here is what you do:


Go to your local DMV and let them know what is going on. They will send your parents a letter stating they have been randomly selected for a senior driving evaluation test. This will take the burden off you and they will be told by authorities that they can no longer drive. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment