Monday, May 10, 2010

How common is it that non-custodial parents think of child support as child care?

It seems unrealistic to expect to know everything in your child's life when you live 2000 miles away. I would expect a childcare provider to give an accounting of my child's activities but I never ask my ex-husband to do so during our son's visitation with him. Any one else have similar issues with a co-parent who's just a plain jerk?How common is it that non-custodial parents think of child support as child care?
I think I need more detail to answer. If my co-parent harped on me constantly to know the innate details of my child's life, I would quickly become frustrated and resentful. I would expect to be trusted to care for my child's daily needs, and only need to share moderate to major news.





However, in my personal situation, my ';co-parent'; is not at all interested in what's going in our child's life. Even when she (or I) call to tell him news, he is disinterested, and certainly never requests information. I would, of course, prefer to think he gives a sh*t what happens in her life.





I suppose the ideal is a happy medium, where the NCP trusts you to handle the task of being the PCP, but wants to keep informed in on all the big stuff.How common is it that non-custodial parents think of child support as child care?
I don't really understand the question. The first part child support is suppose to go to care for the child, not to buy the custodial parent new clothes and a new car (yes you need transportation but if you have a nice car that runs you don't need to buy a new suv)





The second part its not unreasonable to want to know what your kids are doing for either parent, but a play by play would be unreasonable.





I guess I didn't answer your question b/c I don't really know what the question was. Sorry.
I don't co-parent. I have full custody and do not let her take the kids any more. My ex-wife is not trustworthy to have the kids.
It seems that you are the one who is being unreasonable. Why do you need a daily accounting of your child's activities when with the other parent? Are you THAT needy and controlling? If so, perhaps work on resolving those issues before they become stifling to both you and your child. Give both dad and kid a break - let them enjoy each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment